Union Co. all about the wrestling Braves | News
MORGANFIELD, KY (WFIE)- Students at Union County High School in Morganfield got the day off Friday, to cheer on their wrestling team in the state championship.
On any normal Friday, the parking lot at Union County High School would be packed with student vehicles, but Friday, the parking lot and the school itself is a ghost town.
As the school's wrestling team is in Lexington, competing for the state title.
A school record, 14 wrestlers made it to the state competition this weekend.
As of Friday afternoon, half of them had advanced to the state finals.
Assistant Athletic Director, Scott Adcock, says the school has a very strong wrestling history, having won multiple state titles over the past decade.
And Adcock also says the school gave the wrestling team a proper send-off on Thursday.
"We had a beautiful send off yesterday for our wrestlers," says Adcock. "All of our students line the hallways, and we called them one by one to come down. And then we had a police escort out of town. Community members came out and it was just great support."
The state championship will be held Saturday afternoon.
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
Top Union-Webster County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HPD: Henderson man drunk, carrying pot while burglarizing garage
- Repainting of Twin Bridges to be funded with money from gasoline tax
- HPD: Drunk man arrested, threatens to blow up police department
- KSP: Man in Zion store parking lot narrowly escapes out of control car
- Officials say the twin bridges needing new coat so soon due to type of paint